Population in the North underperforms

In the year to end June 2020 population in Australia was up 1.3%; with 41% of that increase coming from natural growth and the other 59% from external migration.

In Queensland we saw growth of 1.6%; with 34% being accounted for by natural growth, 31% from internal migration and 35% from external migration.

Northern and Far Northern Local Govt Areas generally performed less well;

  • Cairns Regional Council +1.0%
  • Cassowary Coast Regional Council +0.6%
  • Douglas Shire Council +0.5%
  • Mareeba Shire Council +1.7%
  • Tablelands Regional Council +0.4%
  • Townsville City Council +0.9%
  • Hinchinbrook Shire Council -0.4%

The make-up of the changes varied enormously among the LGAs. For example, Cairns saw a decrease from internal migration with the increases coming equally from natural growth and external migration while Mareeba, which performed well, saw internal migration account for 43% of growth. The Cassowary Coast experienced 83% of its (modest) growth from external migration while Townsville’s increase came predominantly from natural growth and lost population to internal migration.

Leave a Response

  • © Conus Business Consultancy Services 2021

    Website created by RJ New Designs