What’s driving changes in Participation in QLD’s regions?

Much has been written about movements in the Participation Rate (PR) and the impact this has on unemployment rates; if participation increases then any decline in the unemployment rate is harder to achieve with more people entering the labour force (and vice versa). The discussion is certainly a valid one, …read more

JobSeeker recipients fall further in March

Dept of Social Services dats for March shows original number of JobSeeker recipients across Australia fell in March to 1.3 million (down 4.5% m/m and up 46.3% y/y). This is a 20.7% decline from the highs seen in May last year. In Queensland numbers also fell, here by 3.4% m/m …read more

Once again Labour Force data smashes expectations. Unemployment rate falls to 5.6%

We really should be used to it by now! The March Labour Force Survey data has once again beaten market expectations by a long way; employment was up 70,700 in March (the market had been expecting half of that) with the unemployment rate falling to 5.6% (expectations had been for …read more

Pre-Easter data from Cairns Airport shows the improvement is ongoing

Data overnight from Cairns Airport shows total passenger numbers in March rebounded sharply after the weakness of the February data (as expected). The start of the Government’s discounted half-price tickets, and the Easter holidays, should see a sharp improvement again in the April data. While the 3-month average fell slightly …read more

Domestic tourism in Regional Queensland leads the way

Tourism Research Australia today released their snapshot domestic tourism data for January, and it showed regional Queensland (indeed regional areas of all States) continuing to demonstrate what can only be described as a resurgent boom. For the year to January domestic tourism expenditure across Australia fell 16.4%; NSW was -13.0%, …read more

Cairns Google Mobility data suggests a strong start to Easter

The Google Mobility data allows us to see how various regions have been performing based on how much people have been moving around (with their mobile phones). The latest data up to 2nd April shows that Cairns has been doing particularly well and the 2-and-a-half day Brisbane lock-down appears to …read more

Building Approvals going gangbusters

Data from the ABS for residential building approvals in February confirms that the surge continues apace. Across the nation approvals are now up 20.1% y/y after a month-on-month bounce of 21.6%. House approvals are driving the national surge (up 57.9% y/y) while unit approvals remain 26.3% below their level of …read more

December National Visitor Survey confirms large fall in domestic tourism for 2020. TNQ loses $1.2 bn in expenditures

It will come as no surprise, but domestic tourism fell sharply during 2020! The Tourism Research Australia National Visitor Survey for the December quarter (released this morning) shows total (overnight and day trip) visitor numbers fell 38% for the year while expenditure was down 41%. Queensland fared slightly better with …read more

Population in the North underperforms

In the year to end June 2020 population in Australia was up 1.3%; with 41% of that increase coming from natural growth and the other 59% from external migration. In Queensland we saw growth of 1.6%; with 34% being accounted for by natural growth, 31% from internal migration and 35% …read more

It’s the Private, not Public, Sector driving Queensland’s better labour market performance

As we noted last week (see here), Queensland’s labour market has been performing relatively well during recent months with total employed up 1.3% in February from a year earlier (while nationwide that figure is unchanged). Inevitably, with the Queensland Government’s own Public Service employment data (data only up to Sept 2020) …read more

© Conus Business Consultancy Services 2021

Website created by RJ New Designs