International Visitor growth leaves Queensland behind

Today sees the release of the June quarter International Visitor Survey from Tourism Research Australia (full report available here); and although visitor numbers are up strongly it’s not a happy story for Queensland.

Visitor numbers to Australia show a 8.7% y/y increase to almost 7.9 million (another new record high). Expenditure also rose strongly, up 10%, to almost $27.9 billion over the year. Average spend per visitor rose 1.1%, barely in line with inflation.

Queensland’s data was far less impressive. Visitor numbers rose 5.6% which was the weakest increase across all states and territories. Expenditure in Queensland was up an even weaker 3.2% (also the slowest of all states and territories) which resulted in average spend per visitor which fell 2.3% to $1,998. Queensland’s share of the total international visitor market has now fallen to an all time low of just 33.2%; it stood as high as 43% a decade ago.

In our own region, despite the impact of surging Chinese visitors, things are weaker still. Total visitor numbers to TNQ were up just 4.4% for the year while total expenditure actually fell by 0.4%. The average spend per visitor to TNQ is down a disturbing 4.8% over the year (in real terms this is in excess of a 6% decline). These are numbers that must be concerning for the new CEO at TTNQ and should give pause for thought to all those involved in the industry in the North. What is it that the region is not offering to international visitors such that the region’s share of the international market continues to languish close to all time lows?

We shall post further breakdown of the TNQ data once we receive more detailed numbers from TRA later today.

The June National Visitor Survey is due for release in a fortnight.

 

1 reply

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *