Last Thursday saw the ABS release their August monthly regional labour force data, and our own Conus Trend series (see here for details). They also released their quarterly data on regional employment by industry sector for the August quarter. This is presented on a quarterly basis as a rolling 4-quarter average, and as such should not be directly compared with our own Conus Trend monthly data.
The chart below show the make-up on regional industry employment for both Cairns and Townsville SA4 regions for the more significant industry sectors.
Total employment in Cairns fell in the August quarter to 106,700 (down 100 from May); which is quite close to our Conus Trend data of 106,800 employed (unchanged from May). The biggest falls in Cairns were;
- 500 in Accommodation & Food (mostly full-time) and
- 500 in Financial Services (both full and part-time).
The biggest gains were;
- 1,200 in Retail (mainly full-time)
- 800 in Professional Services (mainly full-time)
- 600 in Health (all full-time)
In Townsville total employment fell in August to 99,600 (down 1,900 from May); the Conus Trend sits lower at 95,400 (down 1,100 since May). Biggest falls were;
- 1,200 in Retail (almost all part-time)
- 800 in Education (almost all full-time)
- 700 in Administrative Services
Biggest Gains were;
- 500 in Health (mostly part-time)
- 500 in Accommodation & Food